Caring for Children Moving Alone: Protecting Unaccompanied and Separated Children explores how to offer the best possible alternative care, protection and support to unaccompanied and separated children on the move.
This is a unique course, delivered on the award-winning FutureLearn digital platform.
It is a FREE six week online course and is available in English, Spanish, French and Arabic.
Register now to join the next run of this course, beginning on Monday 10 February 2020.
• Why unaccompanied and separated children are on the move, the risks they face and, how best to respond to their circumstances.
• How to build coordination and cooperation between the humanitarian sector and alternative care professionals to improve responses to unaccompanied and separated children.
• The skills those working with unaccompanied and separated children on the move should have.
• How to fully assess needs and vulnerabilities of unaccompanied and separated children and make decisions that are in their best interests.
• Understanding the importance of offering a range of suitable alternative care options in a country and how this can offer protection to unaccompanied and separated children on the move.
Interested? Join the course and start learning on 10 February
• Medical workers and international care workers
• Child protection professionals
• Anyone with an interest in this area
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
• Identify specific risks, vulnerabilities and support needs of unaccompanied and separated children on the move and the application of different appropriate responses.
• Understand the policies, practices and delivery of support services that uphold children's rights and meet their best interests.
• Take away valuable knowledge from the exchange of ideas and experience with learners and practitioners from around the world.
• Apply the content and meaning of relevant international and national legislation and agreements.
This course has been made possible due to the members of the Caring for Children Moving Alone MOOC Taskforce - comprised of international agencies that work together on initiatives to promote the protection and care of children around the world:
Better Care Network
Global Partnership to End Violence Against Children
Hope and Homes for Children (HHC)
International Detention Coalition (IDC)
International Federation of Educative Communities (FICE)
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
International Federation of Social Workers (IFSW)
International Organisation on Migration (IOM)
International Social Service (ISS)
Latin American Foster Care Network (RELAF)
Save the Children
SOS Children's Villages International
Terre des hommes (TdH)
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
No special software is required and the course is accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop.
The course is available in English, Spanish, French and Arabic.
The Caring For Children Moving Alone MOOC is delivered through FutureLearn in partnership with the University of Strathclyde and CELCIS.
The course is run over six weeks, and you can choose where and when you learn.
Starts: Monday 10 February 2020
Time required: Four hours a week
Duration: Six weeks
0141 444 8517