continuing care page banner erin 1.png

Erin's Story - Continuing Care and living with her gran in Kinship Care

Erin is 13 and has lived with her gran since she was 11. Erin’s social worker told her this is a ‘kinship care’ placement. Her mum isn't very well and needs a lot of support, so while her mum is getting better Erin is living with her gran. Erin knows the time is not right for her to move back in with her mum and feels like she gets on with her mum much better when they aren't living together. She feels much more settled and happier staying with her gran. Erin does worry a lot about her gran however: she knows she is getting older and won't be able to look after her forever. Erin is really worried about what is going to happen in the future but feels too awkward to ask her gran about it. Erin also doesn't really see her social worker much and they are always changing, so she doesn't know who to ask.


Watch Erin's story

augmented reality call out (900 × 150px).png

This file tells you what you need to download and use the AR files.

Jelly upright l-r.png


Erin is entitled to stay with her gran whilst her mum remains unable to care for her. It is not too early for Erin to find out about her rights.

Knowing what rights she has as she gets older will be really helpful for her in making decisions about what she wants to do as things come along, and to make sure she can always get the support she needs. An independent advocacy worker or a lawyer will be able to give her information and advice about her rights.

Important things to remember

  • There should be regular meetings which bring together the people involved with Erin’s care. That includes making plans for where Erin is living, supporting her to be in contact with her mum and plans for the future.
  • Erin should have a care plan and Erin should be involved and be supported to know what it says and what that means for her.
  • If Erin is still being ‘looked after’ when she turns 16, she has two important sets of rights. If she is still staying with her gran in kinship care then she has the right to continuing care, meaning that the local authority has to continue to support her to live with her gran until she is 21 or until she is ready to and wants to live somewhere else. If her gran is not able to look after her or have her living with her at that time, then Erin has the right to aftercare, meaning the local authority has to make a plan for where she will live, and how she will be supported when/if she can’t live with her gran.
  • It’s important Erin knows exactly what to expect at each step of the way ahead and is able to speak to an advocacy worker or get legal advice as things change or if she wants to make different choices.

Find information about your right to continuing care and see the other stories here

Continuing Care and Your Rights is a project co-created with care experienced young people, CELCIS, Clan Childlaw and the Care Inspectorate, with the assistance and expertise of visual artist Ciara Waugh and Liminal Studios and Edinburgh Napier University in developing the digital media resources.

You can feedback on the information and resources here.


Care Inspectorate

If you are not happy with the level of care you are receiving, we would encourage you to first of all speak to the care service itself about your concerns. This is often the quickest way to resolve a problem. However, you can choose to complain directly to the Care Inspectorate either by: filling in our complaints form online, calling us on 0345 600 9527 or emailing us here. Children and young people can send a text directly to 07870 981 785.

Scottish Child Law Centre

If you are under 21 and want to talk to someone about how the law affects you, our advice line is open Monday to Friday 9.30am – 4pm. You can contact us anytime or you may wish to call us during our dedicated Youth Hour which takes place every Tuesday and Thursday between 12pm and 1pm. During this time, our solicitors only take calls from children and young people. Call free on: 0800 328 8970 (from landlines) or 0300 3301421 (from mobiles).

Clan Childlaw

Anyone, of any age, anywhere in Scotland, can call Clan Childlaw with a question about children’s rights and about how the law and legal systems in Scotland work for children and young people. Clan Childlaw has a team of lawyers who can represent children and young people in court, in children’s hearings, and in important meetings. You can call free on 0808 129 0522, Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. Or online here.

Who Cares? Scotland

If you’re a care experienced young person and you need advocacy support or someone to talk to, contact Who Cares? Scotland by phoning 0330 107 7540 or emailing The Helpline is open Monday-Friday, 12pm-4pm.