Kyle's story

Kyle's Story - Continuing Care and Additional Support Needs

Kyle is 21 and has lived in his residential home since he was 15. Kyle has several additional needs and he has really enjoyed staying where he is, in continuing care. There are lots of people there who love Kyle and who understand his wants and needs and he has been supported to learn and grow over the past few years. His social worker keeps encouraging him to move into his own flat and get support workers. Kyle doesn't want this. He wants to stay in his home with the people who know him best and he wants go to college. He doesn't want to live by himself and have new people around to support him. Kyle is worried that his social worker will force him to move out and this is making Kyle very anxious.

Watch Kyle's story

Augmented reality option

This file tells you what you need to download and use the AR files.

Kyle needs to see the pathways plan that sets out the arrangements for his care. Kyle has stayed on in his home under continuing care. The law says that Kyle can stay in continuing care until he is 21, but he is not entitled to stay there after that.


Important things to remember

  • A Pathways Plan for Kyle should look at the best way to meet Kyle’s needs and this includes making sure he has suitable accommodation.
  • Kyle needs to be supported to know that the local authority has to make sure all his needs are met, and they have to support him so he can go to college.
  • The local authority needs to be asked about the possibility of Kyle staying on in his residential home. This could be Aftercare accommodation and Kyle might be entitled to this.
  • An independent advocate can help Kyle here. Kyle should already have access to advocacy support. The local authority might show that there are other or better ways to meet Kyle’s additional needs or that there is a reason that Kyle cannot keep living where he is at the moment as an adult over the age of 21. There could be other options, not just his own flat, with a higher level of support that might work better for Kyle.
  • Kyle’s advocate or lawyer can ask the local authority to come up with a plan for Kyle to move on at his own pace with a lot of support to make the transition to living somewhere else. There should also be a plan for how Kyle will be getting support from adult services.
  • The local authority also have to make sure Kyle can stay in touch with the people who love him and understand him and support him after he leaves continuing care.

Find information about your right to continuing care and see the other stories here

Continuing Care and Your Rights is a project co-created with care experienced young people, CELCIS, Clan Childlaw and the Care Inspectorate, with the assistance and expertise of visual artist Ciara Waugh and Liminal Studios and Edinburgh Napier University in developing the digital media resources.

Scottish Child Law Centre

If you are under 21 and want to talk to someone about how the law affects you, our advice line is open Monday to Friday 9.30am – 4pm. You can contact us anytime or you may wish to call us during our dedicated Youth Hour which takes place every Tuesday and Thursday between 12pm and 1pm. During this time, our solicitors only take calls from children and young people. Call free on: 0800 328 8970 (from landlines) or 0300 3301421 (from mobiles).

Clan Childlaw

Anyone, of any age, anywhere in Scotland, can call Clan Childlaw with a question about children’s rights and about how the law and legal systems in Scotland work for children and young people. Clan Childlaw has a team of lawyers who can represent children and young people in court, in children’s hearings, and in important meetings. You can call free on 0808 129 0522, Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. Or online here.

Who Cares? Scotland

If you’re a care experienced young person and you need advocacy support or someone to talk to, contact Who Cares? Scotland by phoning 0330 107 7540 or emailing The Helpline is open Monday-Friday, 12pm-4pm.

Care Inspectorate

If you are not happy with the level of care you are receiving, we would encourage you to first of all speak to the care service itself about your concerns. This is often the quickest way to resolve a problem. However, you can choose to complain directly to the Care Inspectorate either by: filling in our complaints form online, calling us on 0345 600 9527 or emailing us here. Children and young people can send a text directly to 07870 981 785.